Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Traveling book

My copy of Bel Canto has been on quite an interesting journey. It's so easy for books to go wandering. We humans are tied down to jobs and other such obligations, but books--they can take flight. Bel Canto has been to Amsterdam, Ohio, Massachusetts, Hong Kong, and Portugal. I'm jealous.

If I could come back as an inanimate object, it would be a book on a Bookcrossing bookring journey. It would be so nice. I could stare out at the people in Amsterdam without being rude, stay inside during the cold winters in Ohio and Massachusetts, be stuffed inside someone's tote bag in Hong Kong taking in the scenery, and perhaps basking in the sun in Portugal. All without getting too tired, too cold, or sunburned.

It would be so sophisticated. I've never been sophisticated, as an animate being. Maybe, if I came back as the right kind of book, I could finally be--sophisticated. Cool, posh, intelligent, witty, all that stuff. Perhaps I could even be in style.

It's a thought.

4 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

People are going to put their slobbery indexfingers on your pages!

G said...

Actonbell, I was just strolling through your posts, catching up and I hate to tell you - but you're sophisticated. Not in a callous way, but sophisticated and intelligent and witty, to boot.

Ariel the Thief said...

Actonbell, that'd be a sweet way of soul transmigration. Watch out of the slobbery fingers, though!

Good luck we don't have a magic wand with which we can change our personalities, the best people would disappear and the idiots would stay.

TLP said...

Sweetheart, you are cool, intelligent, witty, and all that stuff. Sophisticated as well, in your own wonderful way. And you are SO in style!

You are already a wonderful book, and you've traveled a fair amount too.