Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini, is another very important story about the traumatic, life-changing events the people of Afghanistan have had to endure. Hosseini has put these events in a very readable format--the recent historical novel--and has intrigued a large audience of Americans. It is heartening that so many people want to understand what is going on, in human terms, in Afghanistan.

Khaled Hosseini is not the most artistic writer, but this story very engaging, and more consistently so than The Kite Runner, in my opinion. This story follows the lives of two women, Miriam and Laila, who are different ages and come from much different backgrounds, but eventually wind up married to the same brutal man. Under the Taliban's rule, all women were non-people, the walking dead, property to do with as a husband wished. No matter how educated, how experienced, all women were reduced to this state. So, let this be a warning: this is a great story that had to be told, but it's a massive tear-jerker, too.

It does end on a hopeful note and I'd recommend it to anyone.

4 comments:

Maw Books said...

I've just discovered your blog and hope to enjoy many more posts!

A Thousand Splendid Suns was one of the most important books I've read for a long time. I knew it had been a bestseller forever but I kept avoiding it, but after my mom raved about it, I knew I had to read it.

Wonderful book that makes you feel so blessed to have the life you have.

TLP said...

I'm always attracted to the books you review. But I hate to get depressed with my reading. I may beg you to borrow the book later. Not tonight.

Minka said...

I loved the Kite Runner and named it the best book I have read last year. I was impatient for this new book to come out in paper back and read it in two sittings.

I love Hosseini's writing style. I think it is purposely simple, to carry the message as far as possible. It is without pretense, a reflection of a type of life that screams for our attention; without disguise.

Sean P. Farley said...

I'm afraid to read this book. Have I mentioned this already? The Kite Runner was good, but I despised the ending. Okay, despised is a harsh word, but I was not fond of it. Sigh.