Thursday, February 14, 2008

notable

1. I'm giving out my first-ever strange transaction award. An older man came in, wanting to withdraw $162.83 from one account, then deposit $160.83 into another account, and get $2.83 back. This was the only time all day that I did not bother to ask the obligatory question, "how would you like that?" and also the only time I had someone stop me in my tracks before I opened my drawer to specify exactly how he wanted that. Oh, but before I go on, I should tell you that since he could not rattle off his account number, he held up his cell phone to me, where he stored all his pertinent information. That was tiny and weird, but once I had it written down in larger form for him, he was fine. How did he want his money? He wanted one dollar bill plus $1.75 in state quarters, etc. My eyes got wide, since I'd only brought out one roll of quarters from my coin locker, but lo and behold, I found seven quarters that met his expectations. Luckily, he didn't care which states he got. After he left, a neighboring teller told me that he does this a lot. That's good to know. (He is a sweet old man.)


2. Happy Valentines Day!


Oh, go on, go ahead and have a good day, even if you don't particularly like Valentines Day. Tomorrow's Friday, at least.

12 comments:

Doug said...

People just get weird when there's money around. I am looking forward to and hoping stories of odd customers and normalish coworkers.

Happy February 14 to you.

ariel said...

Sound like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :-P

TLP said...

Uh...$162.83 minus $160.83 leaves $2 even. I hope you didn't give him $2.83. Have I lost it????

Tom & Icy said...

Uh, oh. Should have listened to mama!

Jamie Dawn said...

I know I'm late in congratulating you, but here goes... CONGRATS on your new job!!
That old feller sounds interesting. He's probably be a neat guy to have a conversation with.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!!
Eat some chocolate and kiss your sweetie!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Strange, indeed. Maybe he does that just to prove to himself that he isn't broke.

peter said...

I ask for dollar coins back, or two dollar bills, all the time. Some tellers are nice and give me what they got, others just say "No, don't have any."

Hope that guy doesn't ever lose that cell phone b/c then he's going to provide some crook with a new identity.

tsduff said...

I hope you love your new job. It sounds interesting already :)

Jocelyn said...

Here I was thinking he had to be doing it on a dare!

I'll look forward to more of these stories!

Balou said...

I wondered when the first bizarro's would show up. ;) Ah. The joys of working with the public.

I heard a lot of rants about not liking Valentine's Day - marketing machine - bla bla bla. Well, dangit, I LIKE VALENTINE'S DAY. Someone had to say it! Hope you had a good one!

Minka said...

I had the same thought as your Mom. I read the post twice, just to re-check the math. You realize they'll deduce the missing money from your paycheck?!

have a wonderful weekend.

actonbell said...

Ack, don't worry--he did only deposit 160.00--I just typed that wrong.