Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Imagine


It rained all day long here, and it was cold, and there are no leaves on the trees, so it was quite an ugly day, unlike those rainy days in the fall, those times when the leaves seem to glow as vividly as traffic lights against the surrounding grayness. Today, the only thing that glowed was--the traffic lights. This is why I'd like to just stay in bed and dream of lovely scenes. Beautiful pathways, lit romantically with pretty white lights that reflect the colorful leaves surrounding them. This is happiness, or rather The Anticipation of Happiness, by Leonid Afremov. Isn't it lovely? Afremov was born in Vitebsk, Belarus, which happens to be the same place Marc Chagall was born.

All this dreary rain has made me sleepy. It can't be that I'm trying to give up coffee. It's the rain, trust me. It's so gloomy that a sunny day is hard to imagine. Let's all just pull up the covers for about three more weeks...

13 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Are we starting now?

actonbell said...

Oh, absolutely.

Tom & Icy said...

Yes, it is a mess out there. I'm ready to skip March and go right into April.

Nessa said...

Beautiful painting. Very cheery. I love to stay in bed when it rains. Actually, I just love sleeping, period.

Diesel said...

All the blossoms are coming out here. It feels like spring.

Happy Inappropriate Card Day!

TLP said...

It's the coffee. Or rather, the LACK of coffee.

G said...

I'm burrowing down deeper under my blanket!

ariel said...

Those rainy days when "the leaves seem to glow as vividly as traffic lights against the surrounding grayness", yes! Beautiful. I love all rainy days, though. But some are indeed the best from the the bed.

Cheesemeister said...

In a beautiful picture like that I can imagine...
Me walking along the wet path, slipping and falling on my fat ass.

Doug said...

I think you've been spending a little too much time in Punxatawny.

Bone said...

That is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

I would like to sleep 12 hours a day.

tsduff said...

I LOVE your beautiful choice of painting today! Who can feel like crawling off under the blankets when these colors are warmly lighting you up from the inside out? And thanks for the little art lesson on Leonid Afremov - his work excites me even more than Chagall's. Fabulous post - we have sunshine today :)

Jamie Dawn said...

That painting is really beautiful.
Rainy, gray days are perfect PJs days. I could lounge in my jammies and drink tomato soup from a big mug.
Spring is just around the corner. It'll be pretty again before long.