Friday, January 11, 2008

These paws are made for walking

It's a real bummer that some of the nice-sounding jobs in the classified ads don't give up valuable information, such as who they are, or where they are located. These companies are totally anonymous! It's like being set up with a blind date.

Send resume to:
Attn: DXY 4080
Local Newspaper
PO Box ###
Localburg, PA lalalalala...


There's no phone number or any way of guessing anything about this job except its title and basic requirements. It leads one to think they've got something to hide, such as being located up in Huckleberry Ridge (that's a real place), OR an awful reputation. And they have the audacity to ask me for references -- they ask me to send them other people's information, when I don't know where or to whom I am sending it. That really burns my socks.

I don't think I'll bother with those, but I will send out one resume today, which means I'll have to get dressed and walk outside. It's gray and dank outside.

We had a thunderstorm last night. In January. Of course, Serena panicked and ran away from the safety of our bed to hide out in the basement (every cat for herself! Humans are on their own). The treadmill happens to be in the basement. She's afraid of the treadmill, which is exactly where Mike was headed, a few minutes behind her (Mike runs in ordinary amounts of rain, but this morning was just unreasonable).

Heh, I smoked out your cat.


That reminds me, I read something interesting--I'd only ever heard of the second definition of

cat's paw, noun

1. Someone used as a tool by another.

2. A kind of knot used to connect a rope to an object.

3. A breeze that ruffles the surface of the water over a small area.


Yo, wait a minute! Aren't you forgetting something?



Yes, yes, I am. What's new?

These paws are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do, sometime today these paws are gonna walk all over--your keyboard (it's a disability).

11 comments:

Doug said...

Too too too many "employers" turn out to be marketing firms. They think we're cat's paws!

Sean P. Farley said...

You had a thunderstorm in Pennsylvania? I'm jealous. Well, not too jealous. I'm in Southern California and we just had four days of rain. Enough is enough. And I agree about the kitty walking all over the keyboard. My cat, Smitty (flamepoint siamese), enjoys not only jumping on my desk and laying himself regally over my paperwork, but insists on typing once in a while. But we love him.

Tom & Icy said...

Paws? More like claws!

ariel said...

I guess some companies are afraid of employees.

Do Serena and Mike have that cats and dogs kind of crush on each other?

TLP said...

The first scary story I ever heard was "The Cat's Paw." Your Aunt Mary told me that after dark one night with only the fireplace for a light. Scared the bee-gee-bees outta me!

Jamie Dawn said...

I thought a cat's paw was a cat's daddy.
:-)
No need to get dressed just to go to the mailbox.
Just throw on a robe and dash. It's what I do if I'm having a pajama day.

Nessa said...

Have you tried signing up on Monster dot com?

actonbell said...

Doug--my nightmare is sales.

Hi, Sean! Four days of rain in S Cal? Wow. Your cat sounds like a delightful character:)

Icy, we keep them clipped around here!

Ariel, I'm pretty sure that Mike is waiting for Serena to DIE.

You never told me that story, Mom.

Haha, Jamie! And I hafta go down the block aways to mail stuff, because I don't trust our rural box.

Nessa, I did that too, yes. It's a slow time of year, I'm afraid.

Doug said...

Oh, I hear you, Actonbell. The thought of waiting tables made me break out in a skin rash. I think if I had a job in sales it would have to be a door-to-door front for serial killing.

AP3 said...

Poor kitty!

Yeah, looking for jobs can be pretty wild sometimes. I personally have had success several times with monster.com, believe it or not! Give it a try?

Bone said...

Oh, I do remember those types of ads from the last time I was job hunting. Ugh.

I've never heard of a cat's paw, used figuratively. Only the cat's meow :)

Good luck with the job hunt. I've never used it, but have a friend who got good results on monster.com.