Sunday, January 27, 2008

She's dressing and he's dicing...


TLP and I went to see 27 Dresses on my last day of unemployment and both thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a fantastic feel-good movie about Jane, a woman who is always there for everyone else: girlfriends, family, and especially her boss, played here by Ed Burns, with whom she is quietly and shyly in love. In the beginning scenes, she is managing to be a bridesmaid at two of her friends' weddings at the same time, and she does it without that special device Hermione had in those Harry Potter novels--she does it the old fashioned way, and the movie's off to a hilarious start. Katherine Heigl is very appealing as Jane, and James Marsden is well-cast in the role of the young and bored society page reporter, stuck in "the taffeta slum." I've seen it written that this movie is predictable, but so are most romantic comedies. The trick is to provide lots of cleverness and laughs on the way to that inevitable end, and this one does. And you'll never hear Elton John's Benny and Jets the same way, again.



We didn't have to rent Ratatouille, because TLP lent it to us. This is one very, very cute movie. It's amazing how far animation has come. Patton Oswalt is the voice of Remy the rat, and Lou Romano is Linguini, the young "cook" who gives Remy sanctuary and the use of a kitchen. (The young cook's name is indicative of his figure, by the way.) The action and animation are just delightful!

HERE is an interview with Director Brad Bird and Patton Oswalt. Hearing this interview is what made me want to see Ratatouille.

On the bookish side, I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'll be back shortly.

4 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

I agree with you, there's nothing wrong with romantic comedies and their being predictable, if they are good. Romantic comadies ARE to be predictable. I am looking forward to see 27 dresses now.

TLP said...

Yep, I enjoyed "Dresses" a lot. I was in the mood for something like that.

I watched Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on PBS recently, and enjoyed it too. It's every bit as predictable as Dresses. So what? Good fun.

Minka said...

Ratatouille...I can't wait to see that. And I haven't even heard of 27 dresses. I have three :)

Doug said...

I watched Ratatouille on my iPhone and thought it was great. So here's the question: Was it a holocaust analogy?

I actually am serious even though I'm laughing at the question myself.