Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Safe keeping


I've been searching through other people's favorite reads of 2007, probably out of some kind of compulsion, and because of my own indecisiveness and lack of imagination. Or maybe I'm just affirming some ideas. So, I'm holding on to these links, for future reference.

The first list belongs to someone named Vivien L Jennings, and evidently she's been reading my mail. I could just adopt HER list.

SN&R's list also particularly appeals to me

Baithak's list includes a couple I regret not having read.

And Madam Mayo's top 10 of 2007 is much different, but also intriguing.

One book that seems to pop up on multiple lists is A Thousand Splendid Sons, by Khaled Hosseini.

3 comments:

TLP said...

Your father's 2008 list for his book group includes Boomsday, which is on the list of your first link. Since I generally think his book group is nuts, I'll have to think about that one.

Sean P. Farley said...

I have qualms about reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. Why? I recently finished The Kite Runner and, though I was in love with it throughout the read, I was disappointed in the last forty pages; melodramatic and syrupy. However, I've read ATSS is much more poignant and jarring. I like poignant and jarring (enter The Virgin Suicides). But I STILL have a ginormous number of books I want to read (but, alas, spring semester starts next week and my reading time will be cut considerably...sigh).

Minka said...

I am getting A Thousand Splendid Sons in a few days. My friend is finishing it and I can't wait to get my hand on it. The Kite Runner made me feel so many emotions while reading. I can't remember a time when I had to put a book down and held it close and just wanted to hit something.