Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nessa's alphabet scavenger hunt

Over the last couple days, I've spent some time playing with pictures, and this is the result. It's been an addictive activity, a way to unwind, while I sit by the phone and ponder deep stuff, such as the laundry, when to get my hair cut, how many brain cells I nixed the last time I painted my nails, things like that. As I put fresh sheets on the bed this morning, I discovered a pair of socks that I did not know I was missing, and wondered how I managed to fold them into the sheet, and decided I could not remember when I'd done it. I have not watched any daytime television, though.

My interview the other day did not go as expected, but that was okay, because nothing went especially wrong. The woman who had planned on interviewing me became unexpectedly tied up, and was very apologetic about it. In the meantime, I was interviewed by two of her assistants, who were also very nice. This was my second interview there, so some of the questions were the same, and I have no idea what they were thinking, so--I'll wait and see.

On with Nessa's scavenger hunt! I do hope I have the right idea here!

My Aunt ant, in her lovely dress that shows off her long thorax.
Oh, and there's Buddy brown bear...
Here's Elsie, always playing with her ingredients. She's all cow. A creamy cow, of course.

Dumb donkey thinks it's all about him.

Now, there's an idea that should not have been floated, but it did float--the fish shoes! That's an Andre Perugia fish shoe, circa. 1931


Just another gross goat joke...

Look! It's Buckbeak's grandfather. Wasn't he handsome? Don't call him half horse, though. He's a hippogriff.

Indian iguana? I don't care what kind of spices you add, it still looks like chicken, and I bet it tastes like chicken, too.

And herrrrrrrrrrrre's jokin' Jay...He might be unemployed soon, too.


I'm afraid that this is my experience with kitchen krachen.

I stole this lonely lobster from the Groominator. (If hay is another lobster, then I suppose he's not so lonely, but--I just thought this guy's etching were cute.)

Many Manticores are too scary to show here, but not as scary as the first guy on this page. Eek.

There are two nosy narwhals. I wonder what brings them up...

And that's an oval owl, or an owl in oval form, yaknowhatimean.



...and the painted ponies go up and down...


Quantum Quetzal: since a quantum means a certain amount, I'm goin' for the money.


And there's Templeton, that round rat, just back from the fair. The diet starts tomorrow.


Silver snake earrings, just $14.99!

And no one will run over this towering toad sprinkler with a lawn mower. Sadly, though, this product was recalled years ago. "A small hose inside the toad can fail, allowing water to fill the toad's cavity. The increased water pressure can cause the toad to explode, posing the risk of injury to anyone nearby."


Umber Ultrasauros! Ultrasauros is probably covered with umber, anyway. And I'm almost there!


Vapid vulture--now, that's an interesting career option...

That's an unusually wise weasel...

And here's a xenial xenops. I'm guessing he's xenial, since he's helping the insects out of the tree...

And this is definitely a yawning yak. I cannot believe how easy that was...


Zombie zorilla? Well, this is a zorilla, from Africa, sometimes called a polecat. They are not cats, though, but nocturnal animals that look and behave much like skunks. They have the same self-defense mechanism. If they become zombies, I hope they just roam around and look at stuff, instead of spraying.

I left some of the letters out, because--they were too hard for me. Give me a red check for each other those:)

9 comments:

Doug said...

That was cool. I would have commented sooner but I got fascinated looking at all the crazy animal on the page you linked to.

Nessa said...

You did a great job. I loved all of your pictures and your captions. You are a force with which to be reckoned. You only missed the eagle.

TLP said...

Whoa! You did great. I'm impressed, like totally.

That's was I get for snoozing. I had picked the same Aunt Ant. Now I have to do more research.

TLP said...

Nessa, she gets that from MY SIDE of the gene pool.

Nessa said...

TLP: I see the family resemblance.

Actonbell: I was just reading your profile. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels. I re-read it every few years. Wuthering Heights was ok but not a real favorite. I wanted to slap everyone. I'll have to try Anne's, which I've never read.

tsduff said...

I love this post - and, I'm SO SORRY I've been away from here for too long! Goodness gracious, I didn't even realize it. One thing I can say is I was playing with my own pictures, but now I can't any more for a while.

I used to be amazed when I was a kid with narwhales. I still am actually - great picture!!! All of them are cool.

Tom & Icy said...

Great job. I was waiting to see what some of those things were. This is educational. I may try it, but I may use my old posts, but barely can find half. I loved yours!

ariel said...

Very funny collection, well worth the time spent with it.

I think, that's a grizzley. Everybody RUN!!!

Lily Strange said...

Rules were broken but when are rules followed in Hell? This is the Netherworld Version.