Thursday, January 17, 2008

snow and scissors and stuff


Snow. The nerve! Oh, wait, I wasn't going to rabbit on about the weather, there was something else I was going to say. This morning I did have a strange time of it, getting my hair cut, and it's usually so relaxing. The place was almost empty on this Thursday morning, and by that I mean two licensed scissor-wielders and two paying customers. No one was waiting, and it was nice and gloomy outside, just starting to snow. It was almost eerily quiet, except for one thing:

One of the scissor-wielders was obviously well acquainted with her customer, as she was spilling out the details of her sorry life, and getting quite animated and agitated. She yelled out so violently at one point that her customer tried to soothe her. The customer having her hair cut was very calm with her scissor-wielding friend, and I was impressed. Of course, I felt bad for the scissor wielder, but awkward too, since I didn't want to eavesdrop, but agitated scissor-wielder was being too loud for me to have any other conversation, and that's the truth.

In addition, my own personal scissor-wielder was not exactly one of those relaxing experiences. She'd recently decided to give up a full-time physical therapy job to do something different, so she'd "gone back" to hair cutting part time, so that she could also do physical therapy part time. She's a rough hair cutter, and by that I mean that when she decided to thin out my hair in that spot way back there where 90% of my hair grows, she took a firm hold of my hair and raked one side of the scissors across it, pulling my head back with a force that made me feel the burn. Many times. Honestly, I was composing different versions of UNCLE! when she finally finished. My neck got a workout, and my hair got pulled. It makes me feel fortunate not to have met her in her other capacity.

This place is a very convenient and economical place to get a haircut, but next time, I will peek into the window to see who's on duty before venturing in.

The twilight-zone haircut wasn't what I'd meant to blog about, either. Oh, wait! That's right, while I was in the chair, before getting my neck workout, the rough hair cutter asked me a question that I've heard quite a lot in the past couple weeks as I make my way here and there, and that question is, "So, you're off work today?" It's a real relief that no one automatically takes me for a retired person. And that reminds me of what I meant to say:

I'm off for one more week after this one, because I did get that job! How 'bout that? They'll start teaching me new tricks during the last week of January. That will be nice and scary, and maybe I'll start to wake up.

Does anyone else think that this month has lasted an eternity, already?

11 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

That's great news that you got the job! Those little treats they give you when teaching new tricks are really delicious.

TLP said...

Yes. This month has been worth two or three at least.

I'm tired of it. I've never liked February but I'm ready for it.

My own hair trimmer isn't cheap and is always booked solid, so that I have to make my appointments way ahead of time. But she's nice and easy with me. She speaks very softly and doesn't run with her scissors or her mouth.

Doug said...

I'm with Icy. Go for the liver snaps!

Congratulations!

ariel said...

January feels like it was three months already here too. Congratulation on getting the job! Sorry to hear that Doug has lost his role model.

Is your neck better?

Nessa said...

Congratulations on the new job and January is the longest month in the whole world.

Minka said...

Absolutely. January has lasted for ages and I am not just saying that. School started like last week and I feel like I should get ready for my exams...what's up with that. Isn't time supposed to run quickly when we get older?

Congrats on your job, Actonbell. may it bring excitement and some money would be nice too :)

Jamie Dawn said...

Congrats on getting the job!!!!
Your hair stylist surely was rough with you.
Good grief! I really got a good chuckle as I imagined you sustaining whip lash during a hair cut. I should not have laughed at your suffering, but it was quite funny.
We've not had a flake of snow thus far. Last year, we only had one snowfall, and that was in Feb. I'm hoping we don't have any snow at all, but my son will be majorly disappointed if we don't. I guess ONE, light snowfall can be endured.

Lily Strange said...

Yikes! It's been four months since I had my hair cut because the cheap clip joints always make it look like ass. I finally found a hair stylist I trust, but she charges $25. Which is worth it, but sometimes I can't afford it. In the meantime, I guess I'd rather look like a shaggy ass than an ass with a bad clip job.

mireille said...

Congratulations on the new job!!!! And sorry you had to pay to get your neck rearranged. I think I might have been a bit irked about that. xoxo

G said...

Well it seems I haven't been here in an eternity - congratulations. Well, not on getting roughed up by the Physical Dresser, but on your new job! Now let me backtrack...

AP3 said...

Wow, that's quite a tale. Sounds like a weird experience.