Wednesday, December 12, 2007

sunny dream


It had been a strange experience, an odd, uncomfortable, and vapid time, but now it was over. She planned to be wiser and more prepared for her next adventure. A pink dress seemed the best choice.

WAITING
~ John Burroughs

Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
Nor care for wind nor tide nor sea;
I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
For Lo! my own shall come to me.

I stay my haste, I make delays--
For what avails this eager pace?
I stand amid the eternal ways
And what is mine shall know my face.

Asleep, awake, by night or day,
The friends I seek are seeking me,
No wind can drive my bark astray
Nor change the tide of destiny.

What matter if I stand alone?
I wait with joy the coming years;
My heart shall reap where it has sown,
And garner up its fruit of tears.

The waters know their own, and draw
The brook that springs in yonder height;
So flows the good with equal law
Unto the soul of pure delight.

The stars come nightly to the sky;
The tidal wave unto the sea;
Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high,
Can keep my own away from me.

10 comments:

Doug said...

Nice paragraph. Nice poem. We're all molting vicariously through you.

TLP said...

You're pretty in pink.

AP3 said...

Wait, I thought I was on the unrefined blog....

Logophile said...

wide open spaces and a sassy dress, what more could a gal need?

ariel said...

Go girl!

Nessa said...

That pink dress is very sassy.

Cindrarella said...

Love the dress...and I can feel the warmth, which I welcome on this winter day!

Your words are beautiful; at least as beautiful as John's!

The Lazy Iguana said...

Happy last Friday at the warehouse.

I guess.

tsduff said...

Best wishes... loved the poem and pink dress.

Bone said...

For what avails this eager pace?

Indeed.Love that line.