Sunday, December 02, 2007

Of lists and bells

Are you into lists? Over the past few years, I have made several lists of books I keep meaning to read, but way before I get through the list, stuff happens, I change my mind, and the list changes or gets longer.

I made this list in June of 2006:

Nobody's Fool ~Richard Russo done!
Arthur and George~ Julian Barnes done!
The March~E.L. Doctorow
The Collector~John Fowles
Catch-22~ Joseph Heller
Family Affairs~Rohinton Mistry
Waiting~ Ha Jin
The Fortress of Solitude~ Jonathan Lethem
Middle Age~Joyce Carol Oates
Bel Canto~Ann Patchett done!
On Beauty~Zadie Smith done!
Gilead~Marilynne Robinson
American Gods~Neil Gaiman done!
Three Junes~Julia Glass

(Notice that Saul Bellow is not on the list)

But now we are in an occasional reading group, so I will be reading Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen after Mike's done with it. And Beowulf is coming out as a movie, so I've decided to finally actually honestly read that. Oh, and there are a bunch of older John Irving books I'd love but never got to, and the list goes on.

~~~~~~~~~~~



Last night, we finally watched The Polar Express, which has been out for about three years. It was very surprising, what these film makers did with a short, poetic children's book. I enjoyed it very much, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone younger than ten years of age. It was an intense movie with some downright scary moments. It was well made and I was impressed with the effects.

5 comments:

Doug said...

Frightening children is usually underdone these days. I don't make lists. They intimidate me.

TLP said...

I don't make lists either. I just read things as I find them. In fact, you're my greatest source.

Ariel the Thief said...

I love lists. I don't usually read them but the bare fact that things are wrote down and listed, I can even forget about them as they are already listed... nice.

bpmfun: Budapest my fun

Minka said...

I watched the Polar Express about a year ago...I was surprised too, I haven't picked it out again...although I own the DVD.

as for the list, Ha Jin "Waiting" and "Catch 22" I can confirm as good reads...I still have 100 years of solitude starring at me from my bed-side table!

Doug said...

I plan to make a list soon.