Thursday, October 25, 2007

A wild and crazy man of letters

Have you heard? Steve Martin has written a children's book called The Alphabet from A to Y with Bonus Letter Z! His illustrator is Roz Chast, and this alphabet book sounds so darling, creative, and funny that I'd actually like to see it.

I've seen lots of alphabet books, and they are usually the most boring reading in a children's library. Adults fall asleep while reading them aloud. Martin's book, however, will capture a different reaction.


Quincy the kumquat queried the queen
Cleverly, quietly, without being seen.




Ambidextrous Alex was actually axed
For waxing, then faxing, his boss's new slacks.


I heard Martin and Chast interviewed by Steve Inskeep on NPR this morning, so I hopped over there and stole their images.

Speaking of children's libraries reminds me that I'm going to become a more regular visitor to libraries, on account of losing my job in the coming months. It won't be hard to hop on downstairs and have a peep at this one. I almost said check it out, but that would be confusing.

3 comments:

actonbell said...

*or Fredricksen

Ariel the Thief said...

Really refreshing.

Minka said...

wow, I had no idea. I love Steve Martin (despite things like "Cheaper by the dozen!",) this is a book I might consider buying.