Thursday, October 11, 2007

Wee bit of history


I know nuffin about football, but found this little tidbit of Pennsylvania's sports-related trivia interesting.

During WWII, because a lot of players were called to duty, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles combined to become The Steagles.

I'm plagiarizing this from Wikkipedia (oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you that):

"Steagles" is the popular nickname for the team created by the temporary merger of two National Football League (NFL) teams, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles, during the 1943 season. The teams were forced to merge because both had lost many players to military service due to World War II. Officially the team was known simply as the Eagles (without a city designation), the Eagles-Steelers, or the Steelers-Eagles. (The NFL never even registered "Steagles" as a trademark.) However, the official NFL record book refers to the team as "Phil-Pitt."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And if you have the time to go over there, you'll see some mighty funny moments in several sports, some of which I can actually name. The sports, I mean. My favorite one is the very last picture, and I'm guessing the sport is soccer, but I really don't know.

8 comments:

Doug said...

If the Bears or Broncos had merged with the eagles, Willie would have a new favorite team.

AP3 said...

I had known, but had forgotten this! Pretty interesting.

TLP said...

It is interesting about the Steagles. Never heard that one, and here we all live in So.Central PA.

Those sports pix are great. I like a LOT of them, but my favs are the third from the top (I think) where the guy appears to be licking the armpit of the other player. Also the fifth from the bottom where that poor gal is losing her undies. Too funny.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yes, indeedy, these are mighty toothy. I kept making captions.

ariel said...

Geez, that's another view of looking at war. I mean you hear "war" and think of soldiers and machines and noise but rarely think of all the everyday things that too change.

Many hilarious photos! The last one is soccer, yes. :-)

AP3 said...

Finally got over there to look at pix. That was worth it! Some great, funny pictures there! (and some that make me go, "OUCH!")

Jocelyn said...

So you think you're going to snare me into even a quick interest in football?

I may really like you, but it ain't gonna happen.

(but I like the Steagles info. Don't tell).

Nessa said...

So far this year, the Eagles are playing like Beagles.