Monday, August 27, 2007

Yawn


Yawn- an involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth; usually triggered by fatigue or boredom.

Have I been wishing the summer away? Yes, I think I have. How could I do that? Summer was always my favorite season. This summer, we've had our share of very hot and humid days that have sapped all energy from my body along with most of the motivation I had to get anything done. It hasn't helped that my work environment is excruciatingly dull and sometimes very annoying.

There is still precious little news about what, exactly, is going on at work; management has not told us a thing, but evidently, the building has been sold, and the returns department is definitely leaving the building in late October. Two of the areas have already left. It's going to be very quiet by the time it's my time to turn in the ugly badge and say adios. Even the food service is leaving in a few days. It will be NO SOUP FOR YOU! to any unlucky soul who forgets to pack a lunch, from now on.

Breathe in, breathe out, vacation is almost upon me. Perhaps that's another reason for looking forward to summer's demise.

A question: do you associate crickets with the end of summer? I would have sworn that crickets used to make a late August arrival in these parts, but it was not like that at all this year. They were everywhere in July. And I'm not seeing bats in the morning, anymore, and I miss them.

13 comments:

Logophile said...

I was just out on my lawn mower and although I will claim I was mowing the lawn it was more like deadheading dandelions and shredding LEAVES, I can't believe how many leaves are falling, it's insane!
Wishing for vacation makes perfect sense to me, even if it does mean the end of August.

neva said...

i always think of cicadas as chirping away wildly throughout June and July, yet i only seem to be hearing them with any regularity now. and this has been a very disappointing year for fireflies. what's up with that??

HOW many days 'til that vacation?? you lucky girl, you -- for many summer is just ending, for YOU it's just begun. ; )

ariel said...

that's a tricky question, isn'that?

I can hardly wait for it to be foggy and wet and cold. yay!

TLP said...

According to Wikipedia, "crickets chirp at different rates depending on their species and the temperature of their environment. Most species chirp at higher rates the higher the temperature." So I guess warmer weather means more noise.

I don't associate them with the end of summer, just with summer itself.

Fall is my best time.

Doug said...

I always liked winter best. When the White Sox are undefeated.

Pavel said...

I have no idea... hmmm

Just can't wait for summer to be over, crickets or not. The heat's killing me!

Bone said...

The first hint I get of the end of summer is the slightly shorter days. Our sunset is back to about 7:20 now :( And we're losing like two minutes a day.

tsduff said...

I had to close the last office of a Sales Office one time, when the corporate heads made a rash decision to shut it down (and "let go" all of its loyal employees, including me). Being the last soul there was weird... I was coordinating getting the leased office machines taken care of, consolidating the movers, selling all the office furniture, etc. Kind of lonely. I'm sorry the soup Nazi won't even be there for you.

Crickets remind me of summer period. I love them - LOVELOVELOVE them (to borrow a phrase from a well known celebrity). Crickets celebrate the warm lazy days and velvet summer nights we all remember and/or long for...

The Lazy Iguana said...

Crickets are a year round thing here. We do get those large grasshoppers in the late summer - but I have not really seen any. I do not know what happened to them.

Have you have more work lined up, or are you going to take a FUNemployment vacation? You can get unemployment benefits you know. It is not much, but you do not have to do anything for it. And you already paid into the kitty so really you are just getting back some of your money.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Global warming. Everything can be blamed on global warming. Cut in pay? Global warming. Athlete's foot? Global warming. I am pretty sure that global warming is to blame for the extinction of the dinosaurs, too.

neva said...

lovelovelove the "birthday wishing kind of link" above this post! so, um, i won't wish your sis a happy day on YOUR site, and, since i've already done it on hers i shall simply say "good day!" (tho', i hafta say i loved that happy birthday dragon picture you used up there, too -- that was awesome!) ; )

Doug said...

YAWN, n. The expectoration of expectation.

MyUtopia said...

His yawn made me yawn! I am wishing the summer away. I prefer the fall.