Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A particular history of music


Once upon a time, I got my first MP3 player. It was a Rio One, and it came with RealPlayer software. This device was married to the RealPlayer, and could not function without it. I recorded lots and lots of music, which took a long time, because this program took forever, possibly because I still had dial-up. Then, the battery door broke. See the little trap door on the bottom right? Broke. I had to tape the batteries in. It made changing batteries inconvenient, since I always had to replace the strapping tape, too.

Then, I got a new MP3 player, an RCA Lyra. This time, my player had to function with MusicMatch Jukebox. I hate MusicMatch. Even after paying for extra technical assistance, the program was slow as molasses and would freeze up every other time I attempted to record something. It took ALL the patience I had. This player was nifty, though, until the volume control button, which is not visible in this picture, busted. First, I poked around on enough forums to know that this was a common problem, then I joined a defunct yahoo group just to obtain a program that would allow me to set the volume somewhere in the middle, permanently. This got old; there is no one volume for outdoors, vacuuming, and the treadmill. So, I got a Koss in-line volume control extension and discovered that it ate batteries very quickly. And I still hated Musicmatch.

This is my new player. It's delightfully simple. It doesn't come with software. So, I am using the RealPlayer to record, and using Windows Explorer to transfer music to this player, drag and drop-style. This version of the RealPlayer is very different than the one I started with, and it would actually support both of my previous players now, but not my new one. That's fine. However, I have discovered that the first files I ever recorded, using an earlier version of the RealPlayer, cannot be transfered onto my latest player. It seems that at the time, they were regarded as protected content. So, I am recording them all over again. Thankfully, this is going swimmingly.

Three's a charm, sometimes. Happy Wednesday!!

14 comments:

ariel said...

it's so exciting. I got the first MP3 player of my life a few weeks ago, and my life has changed. I am carrying the world around in my pocket.

neva said...

MP3s rock! i got one for my husband a couple of years ago, but didn't bother using one myself until much later. as with you (and Ariel) it's changed my life. or made it just a wee bit more convenient, musically and/or otherwise. (they're good for audio books, too) ; )

PS: hope you had a WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY, dear girlfriend, sooooo sorry i missed it. (company/illness/absent mindedness... you name it, it was happening to me!) xox

TLP said...

Heck. I don't have an MP3 player. I'm so far behind the curve.

Love the post below.

Diesel said...

What's the memory capacity on it?

I think I'm going to wait until I can afford a phone with an MP3 player. Probably the next time I break/lose my phone.

AP3 said...

Glad the 3rd one is working out. I have a cheap Memorex MP3 player. Works really well, if you ever need a 4th. It uses Windows Media Player, which my computer already had. It's pretty easy software, actually.

Jocelyn said...

I believe the moral here is: "If I ever manage to join the modern age and get something like an MP3 player, I should just ask Actonbell which kind to get. And then I should ask her exactly what MP3 players do."

Logophile said...

I have a Pengo MP3, it's 2Gig and I don't see it lasting forever. I haven't had any trouble loading it with my media Player even though it came with Realplayer software.
I do love having it but I kinda wish I could do play lists on it.
I have over 100 songs on it but they play only in the order I loaded them which is ok...but, ya know, it might be nice to have some flexibility.
Oh well, I didn't have to pay much for it (about $60 on sale) so I won't complain much.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm so glad your story has a happy ending!!
I saw over at your momma's blog that you recently had a birthday.
Well, Happy B-day to YOU!!!!!

The Lazy Iguana said...

I just got a portable MP3 player recently. It looks like a USB drive thing. Because it it. Only it also has MP3 controls, and even a FM tuner.

It needs no software. The MP3 player software is built into the thing. So all you do is take a MP3 file and copy it to the drive. And since it works like a USB flash drive you just plug it into the USB port and the computer sees it as a removable drive. Drag and drop your songs and that is it.

tsduff said...

My sweetie gave me some kind of tiny thing that confounds the heck out of me... I think it is supposed to play songs or something ;) I need to come out of the dark ages and get with it.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are a persevering soul. But if you're happy, I'm happy.

Miz BoheMia said...

Oooh! And that one's the prettiest one of them all! Pffft! And then Loverboy scoffs my methods in choosing electronics! "Pretty" wins every time! ;-P

Doug said...

I don't have an MP3 player yet, but I dream of an iPhone. Unfortunately, you have to use it with iTunes so it's incompatible with the dream platform.

ariel said...

ah no moon today.