Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mistake

It's a mistake to agree to work overtime on a weekday, when it means that I will be quality checking for ten hours straight. My eyes can't take it. Okay, I'll drag myself in for some Saturdays, but my eyes can't stay too late.

Yeah, we know we're not in this job for much longer, and we're working volunteer overtime, back in the jewelry madhouse. Might as well keep the customers busy returning this horrid stuff until the end. And get a few extra smackeroos, in the bargain.

Management recently started requiring us to do several stretching exercises in the morning, and as a punishment for this requirement, they have shortened our afternoon break by five minutes. Isn't that the end? To think, I thought that the slowing of the machines was the end, but now they are making new policies during the eleventh hour. Oh, by the way, that young man whose accident precipated the slowing of the machines was fired before the knot on his head went down--I forgot to tell you that.

It is my special dream that Ekim and I will embark on our December cruise with this job in my past. Wow, that sounded so spoiled! It would be so lovely, but our cruise is right before Christmas, and by that I mean that we get back on December 23rd. And somehow, I think we'll have ends to tie up before they let us go.

Management might think up more policies to entertain us with, too. Who knows? And why am I still compulsively typing? My eyes are tired, and I've left poor Harry in an uncomfortable situation. Of course, that's where he usually is in book #5. I'd forgotten how dark it was.

*yawn* I'll catch up laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

13 comments:

Doug said...

I sure enjoy your posts, Actonbell. I can tell you exactly where the stretching exercises come from. Our Worker's Comp carrier offered a discount if we started a "health program." Get this: The minimum requirements of a "health program" was compulsory exercise ("Just a few minutes is fine") and a reward for no lost-time accidents ("You know, take them out for pizza or something.")

It's all about your wellness, Actonbell. The extra five minutes breaktime you'd probably just eat doritos, anyhow.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

If for a wisp of a moment you said everything would turn out o.k., well, it will. Trust me.

G said...

I second Doug. And good for you on getting the extra smackaroos.

Jocelyn said...

Oh, do go get Harry out of his trouble.

Stretching exercises? They sound like the work of Those Who Must Not Be Named.

TLP said...

I will miss your work posts.

Making you do exercises, but then subtracting the time from your break??? Nasty.

Jamie Dawn said...

Arms up and stretch and HOLD.... release.
Roll your neck around slowly.
Pull your neck to one side and HOLD.... release.
Repeat on the other side and HOLD... release.
Inhale. Exhale and bend over and touch your toes and HOLD... release.
Now, go back and gaze at hideous jewelry for hours on end and HOLD.... release.

I LOVED Old Hoss's version of your meme. It gave me such a chuckle.

Doug said...

1 and 2 and choke and choke!

Happy weekend!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Dec. 23 is perfect. That gives you a day and a half for Christmas shopping. Plenty of time....

neva said...

like Doug, i absolutely ADORE your posts, Actonbell -- this one is NO exception!!

ya know, i'm currently reading a hilarious book about "corporate" jobs that you might enjoy a great deal. it's called COMPANY, by Max Barry. it's a hoot, never more so than when employees are required to do bizarre things, then wind up being penalized for them, later. without, i hasten to add, the benefit of a few extra smackeroos.

i highly recommend it as a little "light" reading -- something you might enjoy on your cruise, in December! ; ) xox

The Lazy Iguana said...

A "I just got a pink slip" cruise is an excellent idea. Plan for one now, so you can think about it while quality checking horrible crappy ugly "jewelry".

The largest cruise ship in the world operated out of the Port Of Miami now. It looks really nice. Makes my boat look like a flea.

tsduff said...

You know, they do stretching and calethstenics in Japan and China before and during work. That is a new one on me to hear of an American company mandating such a thing. Sounds like fun - since I can't ever seem to make time at home to do my exercises...

Bone said...

Your posts about your job usually remind me all too well of my nine months working in a factory. I think I volunteered for weekday overtime once :) Saturday overtime was mandatory where I worked.

Bone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.