Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Laha

Moving from one boring activity to another, during these last months of my employment at this crazy, mismanaged place, I'm deriving a tiny amount of entertainment and mirth from throwing broken musical lighthouses in the trash hamper. CRASH. It's surprising, how many of them come back in pieces. Well, okay, it's not that surprising, because they're pure crap, just like the jewelry. If some piece of crap happens to go to the wrong address, we print out an updated label, afix it on top of the old, and send the piece of crap out again. So, if the stupid lighthouse wasn't broken the first time out, it will be this time.

I'm nice and insulated back here now, so I don't hear much of the skuddlebutt about what's going on, but Tinkerbell and Mr. Peabody were borrowed by Toyland today, and found out that Toyland in this warehouse is shutting down in September. Now, management hasn't given us our lay-off date yet, but we all thought, or assumed, that we'd have to make it through Toyland's Christmas rush before The End. Hmmmm.

And Satinlady called me over the weekend, wanting to hear all about how her past tormenters were losing their jobs. Her gloating wasn't charming, but I can certainly understand it. She wanted to know what Badseed was gonna do, and I kept trying to yell, WHO $*^%(#@ CARES?????? as long as she's away from you but I was too tired. And Satinlady has a way of enforcing the one-way conversation rule.

As much as people have bitterly complained about their jobs in this place, there are some who are getting choked up about leaving. I've heard, "I'll miss the people," and I feel bad and strange that I don't feel that way at all. I know I never tried to cross anyone, and that there were once people there who I genuinely enjoyed working with, but they left a long time ago, during the first lay-offs. I've missed a couple of those people very much--it's been lonely and unpleasant without them.

The warehouse is up for sale, and it feels like it; there are all kinds of suited men walking in and out of the building, scoping the place out.

And, even though we all know that this is the eleventh hour, there are still people gettin' pissed off and worked up about stuff. It was just last week that Tinkerbell thought that The Queen, our workleader, was wrongly blaming her for something, and as soon as she was out near her locker, the kid screamed, I KNEW SHE'D BLAME ME, BECAUSE SHE'S A F---ING B&TCH!

Youza, Tinkerbell, once more with enthusiasm, okay? Let the whole warehouse in on it. It doesn't matter, she can say whatever she wants, because her parents are both workleaders over at the sister warehouse, where Tinkerbell will be returning. Favoritism--it makes the world go 'round. And she's a friend of Badseed's too. I suspect they will both transfer and cause woe--somewhere away from me.

Another broken Los Angeles lighthouse. Let's see: that's fourteen busted LAHA's today.

CRASH!

15 comments:

neva said...

i have to say, breaking LA lighthouses (and musical ones, at that) sounds like a perfect way to let off a little steam and/or let out a lot of aggression.

i read "the end is near" and i think
"your life will soon begin.

hang in there, girlfriend -- with your sense of humor i suspect you'll get through all of this spectacularly -- and keep all of us highly amused, in the process! : ) xox

TLP said...

*Sigh* I WILL miss your work stories. Very much.

You could go back to teaching. But the stories wouldn't be as entertaining.

Doug said...

LAHA, I like that. Which means, in your survey, all of LA likes that, even unto the far edge.

Do you enforce the other way conversation rule?

OldHorsetailSnake said...

So is this where we get broken threads among the gold?

Logophile said...

Smash!
I think that sounds so therapeutic. I wish I had a couple to throw around.

tsduff said...

I wouldn't mind a broken lighthouse... I love those things. But hey, as Neva said, throwing them around sounds fun too. Hang in there mz tempest... might you throw a few teacups about as well.

The Lazy Iguana said...

There will be much having to take up other people's slack. I would be looking for another job now. And as soon as I found one? ADIOS! I would just leave. Two weeks notice? Don't think so.

Send me all your broken and returned crap. I can make a nice artificial reef out of all that stuff. Next time you make it down to Florida I can give you the GPS coordinates and you can have a snorkeling charter haul you to "your" reef.

Kyahgirl said...

I'll miss your stories about teh quirky co-workers but I'm glad you're getting out of such a downer environment.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my. I'm actually pretty jacked for you to get out of there. Your spirit is so much better than that place.

Crash, indeed.

Bone said...

Ah yes, mismanaged. That is a word I used often to describe my factory experience. It would go from "things are so slow we may only work four days this week" to mandatory seven days sometimes from week to week.

Minka said...

I don´t know why it is but whenever you put mor ethan 3 people into a working environment, bitchiness starts...

The female poltics at my workplace are very intriguing to observe and looked upon from afar, just so as not to get into teh shooting rage, ´cause once you are in the ring, wordy fists will hit you, and if you don´t know anything about boxing you are scr....vertically laid!

AP3 said...

Geez, I'm really out of it. I am so caught up in my own looming employment change that I missed yours! Well, I'm glad you're getting out of there.

G said...

Actonbell, I've enjoyed reading each and every post about your work. But I am sure I will enjoy reading each and every post about the next phase for you.

Good luck througout. The Broken Lighthouses reminds me of the Nick Lowe Song "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass."

Doug said...

G, I remember that song. I think I had that album.

Cheesemeister said...

Nothing like nepotism. Though in my case it got me into...WORKING AS A NURSING ASSISTANT! Crap! I curse the day THAT happened many a time.