Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beer me.


Good evening, good morning, and good afternoon to you all. I'd like you to meet The Shipyard Fuggles IPA. It's a wonderfully refreshing English style IPA that's 5.8% alcohol by volume, so it's not too heavy, but definitely hoppy. It's brewed in Portland, Maine, where the The Shipyard was voted the #1 microbrewery. The Shipyard distributes its beer in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and Florida.

If you like hoppy beers, I wholeheartedly recommend it. Goes great with sushi and warm weather. And, I admit, I just love all the colors goin' on in the label. Did some marketer pitch this one to me?? It looks much prettier than the name Fuggles suggests.


Incidently, our stay-at-home cheap brew, Stegmaier Porter, is brewed in a Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania Brewery that is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. Happy Birthday to Lion Brewery! I think this porter has a coffee like taste, with maybe a hint of chocolate. It's mild and very tasty at the same time--easy to drink.

I did not go to Jubilee Day today, where I am reasonably sure one could get beer whilst being bumped and jostled in one of the largest one-day street fairs on the Atlantic Coast. Actually, I didn't even remember what day today was until I was forced to change my route slightly on the way to work--Main Street was closed all day for this brouhaha that one can smell for two blocks away, even indoors. I know this--I used to work in a daycare center two streets behind Main Street, and after doing the obligatory herding of the tots down Jubilee Street, we had to smell the greasy, fried food all day. If you already have high cholesterol, you shouldn't even be smellin' Jubilee Day.


These photos are a couple years old, but you get the idea: it's a mob scene. Oh, but maybe I'll go again, just to get a sense of what 60,000 people look like, all in one place...but probably not.

The best thing about Jubilee Day is that tomorrow is always Friday. I do like that.

12 comments:

TLP said...

I seriously considered going to Julilee Day, but couldn't face it in the end. The pace of the crowd is just about Niks' speed, and if he got tired, he could just stop and the crowd would carry him right along, but the sun bothers him too much.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Next thing you know they will be making ethanol out of beer. That would not be nice to see.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Your cheap stay at home beer is a porter? I need to get the hell out of this dump. My cheap stay at home beer is Yungling. But I mostly drink Sam Adams now. The Boston Lager (Baaastaaan laaagaaa) is my house beer and the Summer Ale is my boat beer.

The place I go to that brews their own beer (Titanic Brewery) often gets a "guest beer" from Shipyard. Shipyard fits in well with their "Titanic" theme they have going on. So it is possible I have had the Shipyard IPA. I just can not remember. It sounds good however.

If you want hoppy, you have to try to track down a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. It will knock your socks off. I think Dogfish Head Brewery is located in your neck of the woods.

tsduff said...

Eek - I can't take any more crowds... I love people but certainly in a less concentrated form. I like Anchor Steam Porter. Oh, and BTW HAPPY FRIDAY!!

Doug said...

Fair food without the fair. I'd drink to that.

The Lazy Iguana said...

I found a place to get German Beer today. Not too far from where I live. Now if I can just find a place where Belgians hang out.......

Miz BoheMia said...

Oooh! Now this is a post that is to become near and dear to Loverboy's heart and beer loving palate FO SHO!

The Lazy Iguana said...

I was saddened to hear about Chatham. It was like I knew him.

I tried to tell Skipper, but he just attacked my foot.

G said...

That certainly is a pretty label. Jubilee Day sounds just a tad frightening.

neva said...

the most difficult part of "not" drinking is "not" drinking beer. i loved it as a child, i loved it in high school, and i loveloveloved it in college. clearly too much, which is why i stopped.

thank goodness there are a number of decent non-alcoholic beers out there now (as opposed to 29 years ago when i had my last real "drink")

that said, drunk or not, i would NEVER seek to immerse myself in such a crowd. not a fan of teeming masses of sweaty, beer-swilling/belching folks. not now, not ever. ewww. xox

Doug said...

Neva, you just did.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm not a beer drinker (never have liked the taste), but you HAD ME at "hint of chocolate." :-)