Sunday, May 13, 2007

For Mom

Mom enjoys watching shows about animals, and recently told me that she'd seen a program about penguins of Australia. When I showed some surprise about penguins being in Australia, she began to doubt herself, thinking that maybe this sounded a little crazy.

I would just like to say, "You're right, Mom, not that I doubted you. There certainly are penguins in Australia and New Zealand."



New Zealand is home to six different kinds! They don't look like the penguins of Antarctica, but they are definitely penguins. The penguins on Australia are called Little Penguins, and sometimes fairy penguins (Eudyptula minor). And, yes, Little Penguins hit the beach and hang out under the boardwalk. What fun! There are also penguins on Boulder Beach in South Africa.

And whoa--look at this! South American penguins. (Follow the link if you'd like to see pictures of the different types)


Well. I didn't know there were penguins in warmer areas. Now I know.

They sure are cute.
Happy Mother's Day to TLP, who's on the road again.

And a festive Mother's Day to ALL you!

10 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Moral of the post:

Moms are *always* right.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well thank you for this. I didn't know none of this. If it hadn't been for good ol' TLP.....

Balou said...

Thanks for the penguin education! I didn't know they were found in those places.

Logophile said...

Penguins are so cute and TLP is so smart, and cute.
I think TLP might be sassier than most penguins though, even those ones from the movie.

neva said...

wow! well i've learned something new today. not that that's much of a surprise, considering how little i know in the first place... ; )

this was a lovely/charming post to do for your mom and/or those of us who always wondered if those adorable creatures were limited to the South Pole (and/or Iceland)!

Hope your wonderful mom had an even more wonderful Mother's Day! and that she's enjoying safe travels, even as i type. xox

Doug said...

Plus, there are McQuarrie penguins at the Sydney zoo. Great post. Where's that mother of yours gotten off to now?

I wonder if there are penguin chat rooms to bring international penguins together. Minka?

TLP said...

Hello from the UNC Charlotte Library! Thanks for confirming my story! With a little brain like mine, you never know!

Cheesemeister said...

They're very interesting birds who live in a variety of places. I love them!

tsduff said...

Great post! My mom was thrilled at all the jackass penquins (I'm not making it up) who got their name by the way they bray like a jackass.

Minka said...

there are penguin chatrooms, of course...at the moment: "Flippers Unite!" is the most waddling of them all:)

Only one Penguin sighting in Icleand so far though, (in my bathroom mirror!)

I had no idea that there would be penguins in Austrlia and New Zealand, as you, I would have thought the climate too hot.

But I guess, we Penguins cool down with a drink of Cola, as you lot!