Thursday, April 26, 2007

Too much fun

We turned on the TV last night, it bein' Wednesday and all, and watched From the Top, which is NPR's show featuring musical prodegies. What's good on the radio is even better on TV! These young people are not just musically talented, but charming and engaging speakers. It's fascinating, and it could be longer than just half and hour.

Then, we watched a PBS show called Selling the War, which was an insightful look at how the press helped the administration sell the war in Iraq to the American people. I hope that's on again, so that more people get a chance to see it.

We got lucky on our Wednesday, huh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ekim recently got back from Brazil, which was a work trip, and he was staying about an hour from Sao Paulo, which he got to tour, and he ate really good food all week. People there were particularly interested in seeing him eat (it's his boyish figure). His hosts sound like wonderful people, and they gave Ekim a couple things to take back to The Wife! Hey, that's me--I won't have to buy coffee for a really really long time (and I'm looking forward to trying this coffee. I will be a spoiled princess, after this), and--a very nice man named Jose gave me a CD ROM containing about 116 bossa nova songs. Wow.

So, of course I have some of these on my MP3 player now, and I'm a happy camper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And what do I see?

Balou caught my eye with her meme. More fun with MP3 players! So, strap on your Ipod, MP3, or whatever, hit shuffle, and have fun with these questions, using lyrics or titles--

How does the world see me?
...but she just doesn't see...(a beautiful guitar rendition of The girl from Ipanema)
Will I have a happy life?
Abri a Porta (open the door? Help! It's in Portugese)
What’s going to happen next?
...this loud Cuban band is crucifying John Lennon...(John Mellancamp)
What do my friends really think of me?
Let's Misbehave (Cole Porter)
Do people secretly lust after me?
Swingin' sixties, here I come, yeah!!! (Soul Bossa Nova--theme from Austin Powers)
How can I make myself happy?
...Mr. Johns and I tell each other fairy tales (Counting Crows)
What should I do with my life?
Everyday I write the book (Elvis Costello)
Will I have more children?
Phantom Limb--The Shins
What is some good advice for me?
She said she needed a break...(Bowling for Soup)
How will I be remembered?
Baby, I've Changed (Fountains of Wayne)
What is my signature song?
Put Your Records On (Corinna Bailey Rae)
What does everyone else think my signature song is?
Hmmm, sounds like too much fun in Portugese (A catchy Gilberto Gil recording)
What song will play at my funeral?
God's Comic (ooops, that's Elvis C. again)
What type of boys do I like?
...from Nashville came a dark horse riding up....(They Might Be Giants)
What is my day going to be like?
beeomumDA, badeedeedeeDEEdee, BEEomdada...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And yes, I changed my blog again. Give me a simple code, and I go wild. This background is supposed to look like tie dye.
Happy Thursday!

15 comments:

TLP said...

Wowza. This is fun! Wheeeeee!!!!

It is amazing how anyone as thin as Ekim can eat as much as he can.

pia said...

Oh but did you see "Summer of Love" on Monday night?

And yes the press helped sell the war in Iraq--it was the longest promo to a war in history, and should be studied

I was for war in the very very beginning--living in the city that was attacked, and all.

And might have still been for it, if I hadn't begun hearing about WMD's and Hussein.

By the time war did happen I couldn't understand what we were doing or who was the enemy--but I'm a product of the liberal media

Haven't seen the show, but PBS repeats everything

Marti said...

Just popping in to say hello!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

The Lazy Iguana said...

Brazil is a neat place.

Do not feel too bad. Nobody speaks Portuguese. I think the literal translation of abri a porta is "April the door" or "April the gate" or something. There must be something lost in the translation here.

I believe "open" is aberto or alberto or something.

You Tube is a good place to catch stuff like "selling the war".

Cool new background.

Jamie Dawn said...

How neat that Ekim got to go to Brazil AND he came back with gifts for YOU from his hosts!!!!
Superb!
Starbucks, eat your heart out.

Doug said...

I second TLP's wheeeeeee! That was fun. Abre un porto is Spanish for open a door so I'm going to guess you got that right.

So your husband went to Brazil and all you got was a bunch of coffee, a big CD, a new language and a tie-dyed template?

Jocelyn said...

Ooh, I so much want to go to Brazil. So, first, gimme the report on that coffee. Howzit?

The music, the food, the NPR...you have a great life.

The Lazy Iguana said...

If I ever get to Japan, I plan to bring home as much rice wine as US Customs allows me in with!

Bone said...

Haha, you have Bowling For Soup! Cool. I really love Counting Crows.

Logophile said...

NPR and PBS make the world go round.
I like your musical answers to life.
I have coffee lust, I just want you to know that.
Bossa Nova is the pefect music for a shuffle. I like, but not a steady diet.

Balou said...

I'll have to watch for that PBS special - sounds interesting. I'm jealous of your bossa nova CD! Caetano Veloso is one of my favorites. Your song meme is going to cost me a few bucks on iTunes. Fun!

Diesel said...

Put Your Records On is a great signature song.

neva said...

i'll third your mom and Doug with a "wheeee" of my own! then add to Doug's comment: "...all you got was a bunch of coffee, a big CD, a new language and a tie-dyed template -- and no tee-shirt"?? i mean, everyone knows tee-shirts are the best part of travel and/or running 10K's!

lovelovelove this meme. i'd said it before, and i'll say it again -- you are one clever gal, Actonbell! xox

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, it's sort of like tie dye, but aren't there supposed to be, like, 97 more colors?

G said...

What a great meme - nicely done. And I'd love to see that show that you talked about. Oh, and one more - thanks for the link to that bloggey code.