Thursday, April 26, 2007

Memories of Harry


The best thing about rereading the Harry Potter books is catching all details in the foreshadowing that were impossible to appreciate the first time around. J.K. Rowling provided some lovely second-reading treats.

During the third book, The Prisoner of Azkaban, it is Professor Lupin who teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts. During his first lesson, he teaches his students how to dispell a boggart. Boggarts like small, dark places, and have the ability to take on any shape, and they will choose to appear as the one thing that will scare the victim most. Lupin teaches his charges to be prepared for this by thinking up ways of making this image comical, then pointing their wands at the boggart and saying Ridikulus!

Neville Longbottom is most afraid of Professor Snape, and isn't too keen on seeing his grandmother, either. Lupin guides Longbottom into picturing Snape in his grandmother's clothes (including an old hat topped with a vulture and a big, red purse), and this works hilariously, of course. As the boggart makes its way around the classroom, Lupin calls on each student to try this exercise. At last, the boggart appears in front of Lupin in the form of a silvery-white orb, before Longbottom gets to finish off the boggart.

As the students left the class, one girl pondered, "I wonder why Professor Lupin is afraid of crystal balls?"

It's that kind of foreshadowing detail that I am enjoying immensely. Professor Lupin didn't see a crystal ball, but the moon. Full moons are a special problem, since he has the unfortunate condition of being a werewolf.

The first time Hermione, Harry, and Ron see Prof. Lupin is on the Hogwarts Express, and he is the first adult they've ever seen take their train. Lupin is also constantly dressed shabbily and there are other reminders that he is not socially accepted by everyone and having a hard time making a living. There are many such social lessons in Rowling's books.

5 comments:

Doug said...

Lupin, latin for wolf. I get it. It's funny, I read the first Harry Potter and didn't love it, but I love reading what people say about loving to read them.

I suppose I'll have to either read Harry Potter or love people. I wonder which is easier.

TLP said...

Doug, go ahead and love somebody. Some of those books are LONG!

Thanks for pointing out the foreshadowing bits, Acton. I enjoyed the books, but cannot bear the idea of reading them all again. Too much! I re-read the first two. That was easy. After that, the books were too darn heavy. In pounds I mean.

Minka said...

I missed that little moon-forshadowing I have to admit. Wow!
I agree with TLP, the books became heavy around book three, difficult to hold up when reading and never quite as good, I felt! Which won´t stop me from being downtown on the 19th of July when the stores open for an hour to allow Potter nerds everywhere to get their hands on the last of the books. I have done it for years, it is sorta fun...we even get jelly beans waiting in line :)

too much information? OK!

Minka said...

the background new or am I just forgetful?
Either way, I think it is very fitting!

actonbell said...

Thank you, the background is new. I don't know if I'm going to reach the finish line in time to read the last one when every other muggle is, but I'll be waiting until after my bday, anyway:)