Thursday, April 19, 2007

disturbed

I have not turned on my television all week. I am not exaggerating. The only TV I've seen has been in the breakroom at work, where there is a mounted TV set tuned to CNN all day. At 9:15, 11:45, and 2:00, I viewed short snippets of CNN, and all three times, CNN was broadcasting images of the very disturbed young man who murdered 32 people at Virginia Tech on Monday. There were pictures of him aiming a gun at the camera and at his own head.

Based on my tiny time sample, I think that it can be assumed that anyone of any age could probably turn on the TV at any time and encounter these scary, violent images. I think this is horribly inappropriate and disturbing. No one wants their children to see such images, and it doesn't do the rest of us any good, either.

What ever happened to the practice of airing more adult subject matter late at night? Must it be all day?

The other thing that disturbs me about CNN's coverage is that it certainly seems that this young man is getting much more attention than any of the victims, each and every one of whom is a tragic and tremendous loss.

8 comments:

Balou said...

I too haven't been able to bring myself to watch TV either this week. I haven't turned it on since Sunday. I'm kind of liking it. I actually ironed last night. Do you believe it?!

Tan Lucy Pez said...

Your father watches TV, mostly CNN, all day. So I would see this stuff all day if I sat in the TV room. But it's on the other channels as well. Sad.

It is disturbing.

Diesel said...

I agree. Nothing is gained by watching this. I suppose it's providing some small service to people who may have loved ones who are involved, but for the rest of us, it just rots our brains. TV news sucks.

Jocelyn said...

Very true--I can't believe what images are on tv, ALL DAY LONG. We have a household rule that the tv is not turned on when the kids are awake, except to plug in DVDs. They are, as a result, still innocent, able to enjoy childhood without fears. Sigh.

The Lazy Iguana said...

The "news" is a ratings game. If it bleeds, it leads.

The news even shows the images and video, then has segments about if they should show it or not. And while discussing what they should show, they show the stuff again. And a panel of "experts" picks them apart.

Doug said...

Yeah, they make sure you get the willies, don't they?

neva said...

too much -- too often -- too terrible... to watch. xox

G said...

So true. Perhaps why we rarely have the tv on. When it is on with the kids up, it's to let them watch a little show of their own. So very sad.