Tuesday, March 06, 2007

March


Gracious me, where are my manners? This is Women's History Month, and there are so many more than thirty-one women to honor.

So, I'll jump right in and trumpet Mary Cassat because--I like impressionist paintings, and women of the Victorian Era were repressed, and had to pay twice as much for half as much instruction at art schools, if they were allowed in at all, and I must admire someone who knows where her talent is, and doesn't let barriers get in her way.

Here's to Mary Cassat!


(She was born in Pennsylvania, and attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia. Later, she moved to Paris, where she met Degas, who had a big influence on her.)

5 comments:

Logophile said...

I LOVE Cassat!!
Well done, I think you've started off beautifully, can't wait to see the rest of the stops.

AP3 said...

Huh, I didn't know she was from Pennsylvania! That's cool.

Doug said...

I didn't know she wasn't French. That's cool, too.

Tan Lucy Pez said...

Oh, interesting! I didn't even know that our half of the population got an entire month of history. Well, I guess one-twelfth is plenty for us. At least we get 31 days. Blacks get the short month. And stick.

pia said...

We get 31 windy and icy days. They could have given us January or July. The pretty part of winter of the month in summer where it feels long and ever lasting

I love Cassat and Degas. Apparently my mother used to rotate Impressionist prints near our cribs and later beds so that we would love Impressionist art at least half as much as she did