Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hump hump day

Since tomorrow is the middle of the month, this must be the middle Wednesday, making this the hump hump day. Or something like that. Personally, I'm not worried about the Ides of March.

Last night, as sister Dddragon has already blogged, we went to a Planned Parenthood Event at which Rev. Barry W. Lynn was the guest speaker, and on the way to the event, I happened to mention to Dddragon that someone named Barry had commented on my blog and thanked me for plugging his book.

Now, we all know how we're always joking around here, in the blogworld, and since it was an incredibly prompt reply, it crossed my mind that someone was pulling my leg. I was wrong. Rev. Lynn was trying to research what was being said in the blogworld about a certain inflammatory statement made by a certain inflammatory woman, who I am not going to mention in my blog, especially during Women's History Month. Unfortunately, this woman is not history yet, and when she is, she will be a dark part of our history. Anyway, that's what Rev. Lynn was searching for when he happened upon a mention of his book in my little blog.

Dddragon, courageously overcoming her wallflower demeanor, strode right up to the head table and asked Rev. Lynn if he had, in fact, commented on a blog that morning. I did not realize what Dddragon was up to until she and Rev. Lynn were on their way over to our table, which was not enough time for me to find a hiding place or dig a small hole. Seriously, though, I' m really glad and happy that I got to meet and speak to Rev. Lynn. He's a very friendly, warm person. (Maybe I should try to meet people more often, huh?)

So, if Rev. Barry Lynn should come to speak in your neck of the woods, do go! He's a very interesting and engaging speaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, on with the show!

Abigail Adams (November 11, 1744-October 28, 1818)

A quote from her famous letter of March, 1776, to her husband, John Adams: "...remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice or Representation."

Abigail Adams was committed to living a life that reflected her strong feelings about the rights of women and African-Americans, and her marriage to President John Adams, as we can all see from their rich coorespondence, was an unusually equal and loving partnership.

One of the issues Adams was concerned about was the education of women and African-Americans. Despite her obvious intelligence, Adams was sometimes embarrassed about her own lack of education.

"It is really mortifying, sir, when a woman possessed of a common share of understanding considers the difference of education between the male and female sex, even in those families where education is attended to... Nay why should your sex wish for such a disparity in those whom they one day intend for companions and associates. Pardon me, sir, if I cannot help sometimes suspecting that this neglect arises in some measure from an ungenerous jealousy of rivals near the throne."

Abigail Adams is one of my favorite women to read about, because she was so good, so practical, and so easy to understand. I also greatly admire her husband. They had the kind of marriage and partnership that is rarely seen, in any age. If only everyone were as intelligent and as objective as they were!

9 comments:

Minka said...

First!

And blogging sure gets you read by interesting people :)
Well done and ther eis no reason for you to hide...objectivity and intelligence not unknown to you!

I have not read anythign about Abigail Adams before, now I think that is an oversight on my part!

Doug said...

That's a great story, Actonbell. I suspected it was the real Barry but the link went to a hidden profile. That Dddragon's a good'un, although I'd have been mortified, too.

I remember when I was around 9 and PBS had The Adams Chronicles on. Abigail seemed heroic to me then and still does.

Doug said...

Curiousity kind of has ahold of me as to whose evil, Rev. Lynn was looking for. I agree with not putting the names of scoundrels on websites but can we get initials?

Logophile said...

I am an Abigail Adams fan as well.
Another wonderful choice for the month. Glad you enjoyed the meeting and yes, sometimes new people can be a good thing.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I've often wondered: Would Jesus have had a blog?

Nice piece on Abigail, Ms. Pez.

actonbell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
actonbell said...

Her initials are AC and there's an article

here

Doug said...

I had a feeling, Actonbell. That woman is perfect for women's month. She can do all the evil of 5 male despots.

Cheesemeister said...

As Alice Cooper likes to say, just because it's hump day doesn't mean you should start humping your radio.