Wednesday, March 07, 2007

First Wednesday of Women's History Month Belongs To...


Anna Eleanor Roosevelt (October 11, 1884 – November 7, 1962). Even though Eleanor Roosevelt is one of the most famous and respected women of the nineteenth century, her vast achievements are not very well-known by most Americans. Indeed, it would take a very long blog entry to list and explain everything she did for our country. Her dedication to women's suffrage, African-American rights and civil rights in general, as well as her work in the United Nations, made her a very important political leader in her own right, not just as Franklin D. Roosevelt's wife.

(The link above is a PBS site with a nifty timeline, as well as a more detailed biography.)

Some quotes--

A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and in all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life, knowing that in this world no one is all knowing and therefore all of us need both love and charity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too often the great decisions are originated and given form in bodies made up wholly of men, or so completely dominated by them that whatever of special value women have to offer is shunted aside without expression.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong
she is until she's in hot water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for accomplishments, I just did what I had to do as things came along. I got the most satisfaction from my work in the UN. There I was part of the second great
experiment to bring countries together and to get them to work for a peaceful atmosphere in the world, and I still feel it important to strengthen this organization in every way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Tan Lucy Pez said...

She is absolutely one of my heros. She was way ahead of her time.

Rhea said...

Happy International Women's Day! Eleanor was cool.

Doug said...

One of my heroes, too.

"A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water." is a great quote I hadn't heard.

A man is like a teabag, too. You never know how bitter he is until he's in his cups.

Marti said...

I think she was incredible. I've made myself t-shirts with her quotes on them because I think they are so wonderful. Thanks for sharing this information!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Really, truly, a great woman.

Logophile said...

She was amazing.
I watched a multihour biography of her on TV and was amazed at how much she had done that I had never heard a hint about.