Saturday, February 10, 2007

On Second Thought...

IF I am to mention work again, the most interesting thing that happened in The Week That Was (below) was actually the Slowing of the Machines. How did I not mention that, along with all the rating-speak?

Early this past week, the newest hire on third shift had a bad accident on a reach lift (or stand-up type forklift) and this was the first time in eons that someone actually got injured. Obviously, he wasn't all that acquainted with the location of all the support poles on the main receiving dock, and ran into one at top speed. People who were anywhere near the dock at the time said it sounded like a bomb. That may or may not be an exaggeration, but the plexiglass on top of the lift was shattered, he was thrown backwards and landed several feet away, and when people rushed up to him to ask if he was okay, the new guy said something wild, to the effect that yes, he was just fine, and very comfortable (on the cold hard cement floor, in that very awkward position), thankyouverymuch. His coworkers decided to call an ambulance.

Luckily, he is not seriously hurt--he'll feel bad for awhile, but he will be okay. The permanent part of this episode is that management immediately called upon the maintenance guys to adjust the speed on ALL the equipment--stand-ups, sit-downs, turrets, order-pickers, ELF riders, everything. It's going to take awhile to get used to this--the stand-ups used to travel at a little better than 7mph, and now they will creep at 5mph. That is sloooow. And no, the production standards for the full-time lift drivers is NOT going down. "You guys blow that away, anyway." That's what Supervisor says. (They cheat like hell).

Hmmmm. This reminds me of a dream I had about work many moons ago: I dreamt that all the lift drivers were peddling around the warehouse on tricyles. Funny, at the time I thought this was a statement about how they acted sometimes, but it turns out that I was actually prognosticating The Slowing of the Machines!

People are livid, LIVID about this. That poor new guy on third shift isn't going to be very popular, I'm afraid. And this is a rough crowd.

9 comments:

AP3 said...

You are prophetic!

I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

Tan Lucy Pez said...

Whoa! Sad news. Funny as hell, but sad.

mireille said...

What else do you see in the future? xoxo

Doug said...

The Slowing of The Machines- I love it.

A Disdystopian fantasy!

THE J Mo said...

After recently having to do some photo work for an industrial client not too long ago, I can see how "the Slowing of The Machines" as doug put it, could come about. Safety in a plant is very important, but it's very easy to get carried away and end up being more of a hinderance instead of a help.

Logophile said...

Just don't let Skynet run the place, even in slow mo.
Man, I hope he doesn't GET hurt when he returns to his annoyed co-workers.

Bone said...

Ah, this reminds me of my nine months working in a factory.

It never seemed to me anyone was overly concerned with safety until something happened. Then there was this sense of let's-do-everything-we-can-to-avoid-being-sued.

Hope your job situation improves. Being unhappy at work always affects the rest of my life, to the point where I barely enjoy off days because I'm dreading going back.

The Lazy Iguana said...

PSSSS - wanna buy a lift turbo charger? I know a guy who knows a guy.....

Cheesemeister said...

Another third shift freak! Yay!
Glad the guy was ok.