Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gung Hay Fat Choy

...Or Gung Ho Fat Choy, or Gung Hei Fat Choy...

This is the time of year when people in China are cleaning house, repaying debts, getting their hair cut, buying new clothes, and decorating their homes with lucky signs. Fire crackers, dragon dancers, parades! Sounds like fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



And this year, Chinese New Year is also our wedding anniversary. We've been married for 18 years, since 1989, and we picked this date because at the time, it was a three-day weekend for us and lots of people we knew. How convenient! We took a little trip down to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, where it had just snowed, and had dinner at Christiana Campbell's Tavern by candlelight, and toured historic inns and put each other in the stocks. Good times.

Our song was Never Tear Us Apart, by INXS.



The video was filmed in Prague, and it's beautiful. I adore the swans. Yet another place I'd love to see...

13 comments:

AP3 said...

Happy Anniversary!

Your choice of wedding day was both practical and thoughtful. How like you and Ekim!

Happy Chinese New Year, too. :-)

Tan Lucy Pez said...

Happy 18th!

I hope your dinner was lovely.

Tom & Icy said...

pretty song and nice scenery, but the guy looked like a lady. Congratulations on your anniversary. Master Tom and Mommy Master Red will be married 32 years this month.

Jocelyn said...

Huge congratulations. I love that INXS sang "your" song.

Doug said...

Happy anniversary, Actonbell and Ekim! And happy Year of the Pig! Ironic, I gather, but I guess it happens every 12th year or so.

Should we rabbit, rabbit?

tsduff said...

Awe - 18 years is a lovely anniversary to have.

Awe rats - I was born in the year of the rat I'm told... since I'm not Chinese, maybe it doesn't matter?

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You know, now that Czechoslovakia no longer exists, I don't know where Prague is anymore. Switzerland?

Logophile said...

LOVE the song, and Inxs in general.
Great choice of days, I love the 18th too. I had a wonderful Sunday and I'm hoping you enjoyed it too.
Happy Anniversary, happy New Year!

Icy is right though, in this vid,
dude looks like a lady.
Even so, still pretty hot.

Bone said...

Happy Anniversary!

I always preferred the Chinese New Year to ours. I mean, it breaks up that long major holiday drought between New Year's and Memorial Day. Too bad my boss doesn't share my thoughts on that :)

And they could never... ever... tear us apart...

pia said...

uh, I kind of like his looks, and the video took be me back to what I never thought I would someday think of a kinder, gentler decade--the 80's

Happy 18th anniversary!
In Judaism, 18 is chai or luck

Loved your description of your wedding weekend. Glad you gave the stocks a good work out

Minka said...

Hey, That is Prague and oh Actonbell...you´d love it. I have been there quite a bit and it is a city you canæt help fall in love with.
Happy anniversary you two!

G said...

Happy Anniversary. As Pia pointed out, 18 is to life and is considered a lucky number in Judaism. So to life and many more happy years to go. Chinese New Year has a few things in common with the Jewish New Year - always interesting.

Our 11th anniversary is this Sunday, the 25th.

G said...

Oh and love that INXS song and always loved that video.