Wednesday, January 24, 2007

flow

There's just something funny about a large-print edition of a book titled Letters to Penthouse. Maybe there's a senior discount, as well.

I've discovered that listening to NPR, and especially classical music, make my job much more pleasant, and this pretty music is a beautiful juxtaposition in a drab, chilly, ugly warehouse. I've got this plugged into my ears, of course; the radios are all blaring the same music over and over, and the same commercials.

Rod Stewart, 62, sounds horrible, these days, but he's touring. I wonder if he's still singing, "If you want my body and you think I'm sexy come on, sugar, let me know." I suspect the screams have turned into laughter. Then, I hear, over the radio, that "Betty White's still alive, and she's 85 today." How rude! She's still sharp and funny, too.

Up until two days ago, I'd never heard of The Line of Beauty, by Alan Hollinghurst, but it took The Man Booker Prize in 2004. The clerks who alphabetize our books had it filed under T. Someone just loves articles. Well, it's been remaindered, which means, we ain't got no more.

We're the clerks who file under THE! THE! @#$@Ouch! Make them stop! It's a sad day when clerks can file under THE at will!

"At will" is the present state, too; it's a tedious affair, having to guess where a title might be hiding. Some titles that don't even contain an article are filed under the, anyway. Of course, it's the same story with a and an. Even the conjunction and causes confusion. And the Band Played On is filed under T.

But I got off track, as usual. This was supposed to be a post about the wonders of National Public Radio. The news is so interesting, the music is different every single day, and there are no annoying commercials playing over and over and over again.

Ekim (the hubby) was watching football this past weekend and remarked on how the same commercials were occurring every station break, and I thought, he never has to put up with commerical radio. Well, hardly ever.

Speaking of juxtapositions: the commercials that run on most radio stations during the day have to do with physical appearances--the same diet commercials, lazer hair removal, wrinkle creams, acne cures--stuff like that. It's very strange to be listening to these ads for expensive cosmetic products in a place where about half the employees don't even use their dental insurance. I'm not exaggerating about that, unfortunately. I'm surrounded with people who would rather teach themselves how to eat, talk, and display mirth without making the gaps obvious. Then, there are a host of those who don't mind the gaps. But, hey, let's all make sure we apply those wrinkle creams every night and get rid of that awful hair...

The job is boring, even with NPR, to tell the absolute truth, but an interesting story, or some different music can really supply a much-needed break from the same-old tunes, especially when so much about the job is the same old monotony every day.

Which reminds me that I manage to look up at the clock at the same time every morning. It's always 10:30am. My work anniversary IS Groundhog Day, too. Maybe I'm destined to do this forever, just like Bill Murray's character was destined to wake up to "I Got You, Babe" again and again and again.

Oh, now I'm talking about Groundhog Day. Terrific. I'd better stop. No telling where I'll end up, if I don't.



14 comments:

Tan Lucy Pez said...

Well, I loved the flow of this post.

Groundhog Day is next week! FUN.

The Lazy Iguana said...

I used to listen to NPR at work. But then they cut me from the stupid budget. And now I am on a never ending quest to get my old job back.

Doug said...

I enjoy the flow of these but it seems to me if you took a different job you could make this stuff up.

Pavel said...

Hi! It has been a while since I last visited but, boy, this is a great, and like tan lucy pez said, flowing post.

I found it funny the way things were alphabetized over there! hee hee. As for NPR; I love it! I download their podcasts onto my mp3 player and take them with me when I go walking in the park. It's makes it much more enjoyable.

the amoeba said...

I have a love-hate relationship with NPR. Maybe your station doesn't have "commercials", but on the Maine iteration, it seems that "Supported by ..." messages come on every 30 seconds or so.

As for the commercials on for-profit media? I don't have television. I listen to radio only in the car, when NPR would put me to sleep. I figure they know we all have remotes, so that if they play the same thing seventeen times in an hour, you'll get tired of clicking and will finally let them shove it down your throat. Life's too short for TV as it is wrought in these United States today.

Fred said...

Hey Acton, thanks for dropping by. When I saw your new avatar, I had to tell you how much I loved it.

I'll be by, but less frequently. It's crazy around here.

neva said...

yeah -- i noticed the newest avatar as well, and had to tell you how much i lovelovelove it! with all these ch-ch-changes, i don't think you need to worry about getting stuck in a Groundhog Day cycle.

(i adore NPR, and i'm glad you get to listen to it at work, for i'm quite sure it really does help the time pass by in a more pleasant fashion) xox

Jodes said...

not crazy about NPR, but I love Sponge Bob!! ;)

Logophile said...

We have a jazz NPR, or a classical NPR to choose from, and I love 'em too. Good music can make many things more endurable. But putting up with books filed under The??
i don't know if even NPR can do THAT.

Bone said...

I really dislike the TV commercials advertising trucks. Namely, the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot one and the Loch Ness Monster one.

Do these really convince people to buy that particular truck?

pia said...

As I said you always make me laugh.

The only station worth listening to here is NPR's alt rock radio station.

Unfortunately I chose my grad school very much because any university that has a station that good....

See what listening to too much NPR alt radio can do to a person?

The thought of Rod Stewart doing anything is frightening, an I went through a frighteningly long Rod stage--listening to him was part of the initiation into my girls club

It was around the time the Golden Girls first went on the air. Knew even they would be inspirational one day

tsduff said...

Those commercials on tv drive me crazy too! Hey, Rod Stewart is an Icon in himself... a sign of the times (way back when)... he has the right to age in his own peculiar way too I'm sure. He just has a lot of nerve (or SOMETHING) to jump around on the stage with that song.. LOL now I've that earworm going on.

Joel said...

Loved the post!!! I'm a fan of NPR except when I'm not. I find that I'm not always in the mood to be smart.

G said...

I love NPR and listen to that station that Pia mentioned - also listen to its AM cousin. I would be lost on my rides to work without them. I also loved the flow of the post, but think Doug makes a valid point...