Wednesday, February 21, 2007

dreaming

How many of my waking hours are spent daydreaming? I can't decide whether or not this is cause for concern. My waking dreams are sunny, quiet, and warm. The ocean is usually visible. I wish my nighttime dreams were the same.

So, while I was slogging along at work, the radio caught my attention when the DJ asked his listeners, "What's your dream job? If money weren't an issue, what job would you have?"

I wasn't sure I'd be able to come up with an answer for this, since I've never been able to figure out where I belong, and even change my mind about my favorite color periodically, but I wasn't surprised that a lot of people eagerly called the radio station with their answers. A few women wanted to work for sexy male celebrities--one woman wanted to be Rod Stewart's personal assistant. Obviously, some people's daydreams are freer than mine; as soon as I started dreaming about being an assistant to--oh, say, George Clooney or Lance Burton, he would turn into a tyrannical monster, or at least be demanding and intimidating, and that dream would be over.

Forget celebrities, even if I'm very well qualified in the bowing and humoring department. I want my daydream--warm, tranquil, and monster-free. I want to be a lighthouse keeper in Cozumel. There are four of them, and I will be happy in any one of them. Really. I won't be picky.

We could run down the path in the mornings, read stuff all day, maybe have time for Spanish lessons, and have lots of time to play Scrabble. I know I could talk Ekim into this! Money's not an issue, remember.

I think a couple of rocking chairs, and maybe a hammock, would go rather nicely on the porch, too.

How 'bout you?

14 comments:

Tan Lucy Pez said...

I'd be a "Traveler." I'd travel everywhere, rating hotels and restaurants. I'd also rate the entertainment in these areas.

You have a wonderful dream. This is a lovely post.

Logophile said...

Hmmmm,
I love this idea,
I have no idea what I would want to do, although your idea suits me beautifully.
We'll keep one further down the coast and have Scrabble get togethers over tea in the afternoon, sound good?

Doug said...

Troll.

Diesel said...

I know what you mean about losing control over your daydreams. My post today is on that very subject, in fact. :)

tsduff said...

Ah - what a lovely job description! I'm sure I'd adore that job - as well as seeing the birds that frequent the warm beach... I have a hard time coming up with my dream job. It used to be traveling to, watching, and documenting cool birds and their habits. That was when I was a youngster. Now - who wants a job anyway?

LOL Doug - trolls and dogs are on quite different ends of the spectrum.

Bone said...

Ooo, Scrabble. Now you're speaking my language :)

I like your dream job. I'd like to maybe run a shop or restaurant on the beach. Or be a successful freelance writer :)

Fred said...

I want to be on that porch with the rocking chair in my favorite place, Hawaii. Every morning would start with a walk on Kihei Beach.

I can see it now...

Jocelyn said...

I wondered what you'd come up with--and then the lighthouse keeper idea came out. How perfect. And Cozumel! So you can go snorkel anytime you want.

Minka said...

Interestign question adn at first I didnæt have an answer either...I am undecided that way.
But, after giving it soem thought and counting teh millions I must have, I think I would love to be a translator at a worldwide company. That way I could combien my two passions: travel and languages.
That would be brilliant!

G said...

Nice daydreams - I too prefer my daydreams to the ones at night.

Artist. With all that money being no object, I'd find a medium to work in.

AP3 said...

That sounds good. I'd go for just about anything that let me work by the ocean... oh, wait, that's how I wound up in the navy. Let me think about this a little more.

Tom & Icy said...

Master Tom daydreams about being smarter or more talented than he is and could write screenplays that are made into movies. He wrote nine screenplays and two novels, but they were pretty crappy. But I think he sort of enjoyed acting out his daydream.

Balou said...

Enjoy your blog! What a great choice for a dream job. I'm not sure what my dream job would be - other than it would be best if it didn't feel like work and made a comfortable wage. A good topic to mull over at dinner with hubby.

Jamie Dawn said...

Lighthouse keeper sounds good.
I think I'd like to deposit vast sums of money into my bank account for a living. I'd be more than willing to deposit some in yours too. :)